Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Even a man who is pure in heart - movie review, The Wolf Man (1941)

Recently, a VHS tape of The Wolf Man (1941) came into my hands, so of course I had to watch it.  Several times.  How could I pass up the chance to see Lon Chaney Jr., Claude Raines and Ralph Bellamy working together?  Not to mention some beautiful ladies, plus the incomparable Bela Lugosi and Maria Ouspenskaya! 

The werewolf story that used to strike terror into me when I was a child still terrifies me, but in a different way.  I've come to see it as a morality tale.  The true horror lies in the wolf man's inner struggle with his own conscience.   

The black-and-white cinematography is so masterful that I barely noticed it until the third viewing, when I was consciously looking at it for the purposes of my review.  The same principle applies to the music, which is seamlessly concordant with the story. 

Please take a minute and read my review at Epinions: 


Even a man who is pure in heart 

http://www.epinions.com/review/mvie_mu-1023873/content_525201018500 

Thank you so much!

  ~~~ 

No comments: